Tuesday, January 3, 2012

9 - Basement

Before renting, my wife and I lived in a house with a small, unfinished basement. I had to duck or dodge to avoid whacking my head on the solitary light hanging from the low ceiling. I hated going down there, but I had to do it all the time because our laundry stuff was down there.

In our new home, we have an enormous finished basement with an eight-foot ceiling, recessed lighting and a full bathroom. Part of it will be used for storage, another part for housing a treadmill and an exercise bike, and the rest will eventually feature a home cinema setup with a large screen, 7.1 surround system and a little fridge. In the mechanical area, I'll have our home networking equipment and a freezer. An unexpectedly large egress window provides plenty of natural light.

After pounding away on the treadmill for a few minutes, I'll be able to walk straight into the bathroom for a shower and then flop down in front of the TV with a cold drink from the fridge. Maybe it'll take a little while to buy some of this stuff and set it up, but in the old house it was never an option. With a couple of sofa beds, it'll make a great spillover bedroom for guests too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of people with basements!! Sounds like you have a great plan for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! We have a similiar plan as you but like you said, may take awhile before it all gets done. We are kind of waiting to make sure the basement doesn't happen to leak or flood with water :-) Never know with a new home!

    ReplyDelete