Monday, July 25, 2011

Not a pretty site

Please excuse the pun, but I couldn't resist. My wife and I took a drive out to the site where our development is going to be yesterday and I snapped a couple of shots:

You can see the farmhouse that I mentioned in an earlier post in the background. That building will remain, and our lot will be fairly close to it. The entire development is a bit of a mess at the moment, but the crews have been working feverishly in the ghastly heat.

For the next 30 days, the road that runs past the development will be closed to all traffic. Apparently, the curve in the road is being straightened. A slight hump is being smoothed out as well, so it should make it easier for people leaving the development to see oncoming vehicles. This means we won't be able to see the site again until late August, by which time I hope the crews will have completed all the road and utility infrastructure on site.

In the meantime, my wife and I will be hoping those worthless tools in Congress will have resolved this crisis over the debt ceiling. The ceiling should be raised immediately and independently of any other spending/taxes discussions. The behavior of lawmakers over the last couple of years has been disgraceful, but in the last few months (since the 2010 elections, basically) it has been especially appalling. As soon-to-be homebuyers, we depend on the interest rate remaining low; however, the rate will skyrocket if the debt ceiling isn't raised within a few days.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a very pretty site...as for your last paragraph, I couldn't agree more...throw them all out of office and start over from scratch...this is a perfect example of why we need term limits and line-item veto...we would have TONS of money if it weren't for all the "personal" programs that our government dumps money into...I am not talking about the ones everyone knows about(Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment, Infrastructure, etc)...I am talking about the crazy "study this" and "give me money for my vote" special interest program. Billions down the drain for nothing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are talking about personal programs (pet projects), that means you are basically talking about earmarks. While I agree with your stance on those, I should point out that such behavior has a relatively small impact on the nation's budget.

    The biggest problems continues to be the enormous military budget (more than all other nations of the world put together) and the low rate of taxation. Defense spending must be cut, and the Bush tax cuts on richer Americans must be allowed to expire.

    ReplyDelete